Druces’ Private Wealth team is known for its specialism in French law. The team includes French- qualified and French-speaking experts who assist clients with a range of inheritance, tax and property work.
French law specialists
We have a track record of working with clients who are purchasing property in France. Those who are familiar with English property purchases find that there are striking differences in law and procedure when it comes to French conveyancing. Even with the best advisers in France, it can be difficult to navigate an unfamiliar system.
Bespoke services for high-value French property purchases
With this in mind, Druces, has developed a bespoke offering aimed, in particular, at those clients embarking upon high-value French property purchases (defined, for these purposes, as €20m+).
Working independently, but collaboratively with your French notary, we will:
- Visit the property personally to ensure we understand the position on the ground and to spot any issues which may arise in situ.
- Make enquiries at the mairie (town hall), including in respect of planning applications for any neighbouring or nearby properties which might impact upon your proposed purchase.
- Review key documents including:
- correspondence with the estate agent before you commit to sign anything.
- the contract to purchase.
- loan documentation.
- the transfer document.
- Attend the completion meeting with the notary and the vendor on your behalf, ensuring that you are legally represented at that crucial meeting, avoiding problems when changes are presented at that late stage.
- Advise on tax structuring, including Wealth Tax (and handle the on-going Wealth Tax annual returns).
- Advise on corporate structuring, including the use of an SCI (société civile immobilière).
- Assist with reclaiming VAT on new builds and rental arrangements.
- After your purchase, advise on wills and inheritance considerations.
How we can help
It is worth remembering that the principal task of the French notary in these transactions is to ensure that you are acquiring good legal title of your new property: so that you become the undisputed owner under French law. Clearly this is crucial. However, it is not the only important aspect of a high-value property purchase in France. And that is where Druces’ team can help.
For further information about our French Prime Property services please fill in the form below and a member of our team will get back to you shortly, or directly contact: