On 15th March 2022, the Economic Crime (Transparency and Enforcement) Act 2022 (the “Act”) received Royal Assent. According to the Government, the Act aims to tackle economic crime by...Find out more
Druces LLP is the modern successor of a legal business that has its roots in the City of London in the eighteenth century.
The Law Society Gazette recorded in 1992 that “The firm of Druces & Attlee in the City of London was founded by Robert Parnther in 1767. Charles Druce joined him in 1783. In 1785 Charles was appointed clerk to the Worshipful Company of Innholders, a position held by successive partners in the firm to this day. Charles’s grandson, Charles Claridge Druce, was President of the Law Society in 1881. Henry Attlee, a partner since 1874, was President in 1907. One of Henry’s sons, Clement, became Prime Minister in 1945.”
The Directory of London and Westminster and the Borough of Southwark 1794, containing “An alphabetical List of the Names and Places of Abode of the Directors of Companies, Persons in Public Business, Merchts., and other eminent Traders in the Cities of London and Westminster, and Borough of Southwark” lists “Parnther & Druce, Attornies, 12, London-str.”
Today Druces occupies part of Salisbury House on Finsbury Circus. The site of Salisbury House (and neighbouring London Wall Buildings) was occupied by Bethlem Hospital from 1676 to 1815. Bethlem Hospital, or “Bedlam”, was originally a priory of the Order of the Star of Bethlehem founded in 1247 by Simon FitzMary, Sheriff of London. Later it became England’s first psychiatric hospital.
For more information on our history go to: http://druces250.com/